11 Reasons Why Seniors Choose One-Bedroom Apartments
Look around where you currently live. Does just the thought of having to clean before company comes over make you tired? Are there rooms you mostly just use for storage? While having a large house used to be a status symbol, many older adults find the expense and work of upkeep and maintenance more than they want to deal with. That’s why many of them are considering moving to a senior living community like South Port Square. If you’re considering a change, ask yourself, “How much room do I need?” and then consider these advantages of choosing a one-bedroom senior apartment.
More Than an Apartment. A Community.
The first thing to consider when you move to a retirement community is your residence is a small part of a much larger community. It’s your personal oasis, but right outside your door are friendly neighbors, loads of activities and a variety of services and amenities. So, you’re getting a lot more than just a senior apartment. Reasons to choose a one-bedroom apartment, include:
1. You have too much space: To see if you have more room than you use, try the sticky note test. (Put a sticky note on every door, closet, room, etc. and over three days take down a sticky note off the door of every room you went into). You might be surprised how much (or how little) of your current house you actually use.
2. A community has everything you need and more: You’ll find that a community has everything you need like a dedicated arts and crafts room, a woodworking shop, fitness center, heated indoor pool, pickle ball and tennis courts, outdoor grill area, courtyards, gardens, walking paths, a town square and multiple dining venues, including a Bistro and sports bar.
3. Less cleaning and organizing: While our lifestyle is maintenance-free with housekeeping and flat linen services, you still get to decorate and organize your space the way you want.
4. It’s easier to downsize now: Sorting, donating and organizing your stuff is easier when you have time to do it. So don’t wait until a health emergency forces you to quickly make other plans.
5. It’s not the number of rooms but how you use them: Senior living residences are designed to get the most out of their square footage. In fact, you may find you have more room than you expect, and it’s easier to maintain.
6. You have other things to do: One of the great things about a community is the lock-and-leave lifestyle. If you want to focus on traveling or your other interests, a one bedroom is the perfect fit for you.
7. Spend money on what you want: You probably didn’t save and invest to turn around and spend your savings on home upkeep or unexpected repairs. Moving to a community means someone else is responsible for home maintenance. Your monthly fee covers housekeeping, indoor and outdoor maintenance, most utilities, a meal plan, scheduled transportation and access to community services, amenities and social activities.
8. You want a practical plan for the future: South Port Square is a Life Plan Community with a Life Care contract. If you ever need a higher level of care, such as assisted living, memory care or skilled nursing, it’s available right on-site at a predictable monthly rate that’s about the same as independent living.
9. Create a cozy space: A community offers gorgeous places to gather with your friends and family, and we even have a private dining room. So, you no longer need to design with hosting and guests in mind.
11. Love what you have: Whether your inspiration is Marie Kondo, and you only want to surround yourself with things that bring you joy or you’re in love with the minimalism of Scandinavian design, a one-bedroom makes it easy to surround yourself only with what’s important to you.
All our residences have a lanai: Create a beautiful outdoor place to eat brunch with a view, a meditation corner, a gardener’s paradise or a reading nook. Your lanai can be whatever you want it to be.
The Secret to Living Large is About More Than Square Footage
When it comes to deciding if moving to a senior living community is right for you, seeing is believing. When you visit, you can get a feel for the lifestyle and chat with the residents and the staff. Explore our one-bedroom apartments and once you find something that interests you, come see how big your world can be by using our Community Assistant chat feature or contacting us here to schedule your personal tour.